Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"How'd You Make Out?"

Mardi Gras is over now. Just some thoughts though. People needed this Mardi Gras. One person who has been back since shortly after Katrina struck said that if were sitting in say Houston and heard Mardi Gras had been canceled, he wouldn't bother to come home cause he'd know that's it..the city is done.

Yesterday it was common for these folks to see friends for the first time since before Katrina. They'd ask one another..."How'd you make out?" Then they would share bits of their stories.....where they evacuated to, when they came back, the status of their homes. Mardi Gras re-united people with people and the people with their city.

One final Mardi Gras video. Walking home from the Quarter we stpped at a local hangout and so did a band who rocked the place......



Oh I do have some pics of Mardi Gras costumes I'll put up later....alot involving MRE's, blue tarps, FEMA digs and of course Brownie and Bush. But I'm off to a meeting about the 9th Ward....

6 Comments:

Blogger Pam Spaulding said...

Hi Scout. Here's something your readers might be interested in:

Katrina recovery and The Mardi Gras Index

9:56 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Thanks for posting the video--I was at DBA yesterday when this was going on--I'm not in the video, but that's probably good, since I didn't wear a costume...don't know if you were able to stick around for Klezmer All-Stars (alas, I had to leave and drive back to Baton Rouge).

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome Scout.

I loved it that you caught the two percussionists in the back - when the one guy embraced the other. That said so much to me.

Excellent job, Scout. You rock. Thank you so much for all of this -

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope some of these people will stay in touch with each other and be able to return for good again. Its nice to see them smile.

4:00 PM  
Blogger potlikker said...

Great writing in the blog Scout -- and you're really getting right into the thick of it.

How long are you in town? Care to do an interview for broadcast on WTUL's Community Gumbo?

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scout, do you know how jealous you've make me? I wanted to be in that number there with you.

Last year, my husband and I spent Mardi Gras in downtown NO for the first time in 40 years, and had a great time. I guess this one was loaded with meaning for many New Orleanians, and I'm glad they went ahead and did it. I'm glad you could be a part of it. You're a great story teller, and you're in a city full of great story tellers.

Have a good visit for the rest of your time there.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home